Tuesday, May 28, 2019

borders and strings

I have the borders on smith mountain morning and it is a race to see if I can finish it before the end of the month. I have the backing material and a just emptied longarm. It could happen. It's a pretty quilt, and I hesitate, thinking I should do something special in the quilting. But, I know I prefer a more simple pattern, and I don't have to do what everyone else is doing. I love the piecing of a quilt, and I certainly wouldn't pay a longarmer to do the fancy stuff, so why would I take the time to do it. But, I have to admit, that a heavily longarmed quilt gets more oohs and ahs. I also feel bad for the quiltmaker who has made a beautiful quilt, and at show and tell, everyone wants to know who did the quilting. The longarmer didn't pick the colors or pattern, didn't buy or cut out the fabric, or sew it together, or apply the binding. I try to remind myself of that when I longarm for a client, even myself. Enough of a soapbox.


I have been working on this string quilt, every off chance I get. It is a bit like potato chips, you can't make just one. Every block will be the same but, no two will be alike.


I am linking to:


chameleon color linky

Oh scrap

I am linking to:


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your Smith Mountain near-finish! I've been wanting to make that one for a long time. Right now I am in the midst of Double Delight. Got a few more UFOs to finish before i can justify beginning another Bonnie quilt. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie! Oh, I so understand what you are saying about the quilting on a quilt. This is just my personal opinion - I like a quilt that has a lighter hand on quilting. Quilting is suppose to let the fabric and pattern shine, unless it's a whole fabric quilt. Then, quilting takes over and is supposed to wow you. You quilt that piece anyway that makes your heart sing. Wow cares what others think? If they don't have anything nice to say, then they should be quiet. It's a beautiful quilt - I just LOVE the color combination you chose. If I were to see it in person, that's what I would comment on. Not the quilting pattern, unless an unusual thread color was chosen to draw attention to it!! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Home Sewn...always quilt your quilts in a fashion that makes you happy and comfortable. :-) My "formula" is that if the quilt has many smaller pieces, than the quilting stays simple....the larger (simple and/or solid) pieces might benefit from a fancier quilting for added interest...again, personal preference. Anyways....LOVE the yellow/grey combo and always luvs me a string quilt! :-)

    ReplyDelete