Wednesday, January 19, 2022

a lifetime of scraps

This has been an eclectic scrap bucket.   Sorting this scrap bucket, I have found some fun surprises. I obviously just threw everything I wanted to clean up into the bucket at one point. I really like old blocks and feel a real urgency to rescue them. But, I don't know what to do with them. So, with indecision, they were doomed to a scoop and tidy. 

aren't these wonderful vintage fabrics?



I had already cut the 10 inch square. This was the pile of  scraps that I thought were big enough to have a 5 inch square cut from them. 


I layered them with the right side as even as I could get it and used my stripology ruler to even the right and cut 5 inches.



But the only ones that were 5 inches were these. The rest I put in the less than 5 inch strip pile. Some were close but about 1/4 inch too small.


The strip pile is the biggest group in this bucket. I will work on them next. If I can get 3 1/2 , 2 1/2 , 2, 1 1/2 inch out of it, I will. and so on. If it doesn't make a strip I have started a small chunk bucket for them. I am also putting more into the string/crumb basket and even the trash than usual. I am trying to be brutal.  If each small bucket takes a week, then I will be done in a little over 100 years. I actually enjoy doing it, I just don't like the mess.



My favorite tools for scraps

1. stripology ruler

I  am linking to:

oh scrap sunday













7 comments:

  1. You continue to inspire me to clean up my scraps. I have a bunch of red 2.5 squares in the queque for stitching. Those star blocks would be pretty appliqued to a background. Reminds me of the old song, Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to get to my scrap pile soon, but 1st, I'm just trying to get thru some UFOs that have been haunting my sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 years sounds about right! I dumped my bin of red ( RSC red this month) and sorted , sewed and purged. I now have small pile to cut and trim tonight. I will try to sew up a coin quilt and the RSC patterns for the month. Let's see how I go! Good luck with your sorting! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was laughing about the 100 years of scrap busting, but I know how true it is! I have lots of old sets of blocks, too, that I just can't seem to part with but that never get put together. Hope I get 100 more years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on your scrap processing, Maggie! I notice that you've got a bit of RED to work with for January's Rainbow Scrap Challenge in there, too. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would be able to pass by those stars. They are lovely. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really know how to tame those scraps! Love those old blocks. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete