Thursday, April 20, 2017

pickled eggs

And time for pickled eggs...
My Mother used to say just a little more sugar than vinegar was the secret to great eggs.

For a dozen eggs, I use the juice of the beets and 1/2 cup sugar over the top, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 1/2 cup water. Heat it enough to dissolve the sugar and pour it in the jar.

The last several years, I have suspected that something is different in the eggs we buy, as they are extremely difficult  to peel. We tried baking soda, cream of tartar, a bamboo steamer, and baking them in the oven. We stopped having hard boiled eggs for awhile, until I tried the instant pot. They work like a dream. I use 5 minutes on high pressure. Here are the instructions. I love it, and we are back to hard boiled eggs again.

I have made more of these. I have 7 more to go.
And I finished a customer quilt.

In my little world, this is the second time I have quilted this pattern for two different customers - small world.

I am linking to:
needle and thread thursdays
oh scrap

1 comment:

  1. Nice coincidence about the pickled eggs. I haven't had any for years, but a friend gave me some after Easter. Is it a family tradition? I make stuffed cabbage roles, from my mother's Polish family recipe.
    Those are nice colorful blocks, very cute and scrappy. Have a fun week!.

    ReplyDelete