Wednesday, August 10, 2022

blocks found

My Granddaughter was here for a visit and decided to reorganize my extra room. I had no idea what she was doing, until it was too late. I use that room for a holding cell of blocks ready to make into tops and tops ready to be quilted, and unfortunately, as storage for whatever I don't know where to home them. I knew that this little set back, for me, was probably the reason I had lost my rhododendron mystery blocks. This week, when it was raining, I asked my hubby to accompany me to that room and make a serious search for those missing blocks since it was a "mystery" haHA. He was dear enough to do that. And there was no way to work in the garden.  His job was to work from one end of the room putting like stuff together, and hunt for any blocks that might show up. I started sorting at the other end. I finally needed a rest and sat in the middle of the floor.

We were about to give up, then, I saw a corner of my blocks peeking out of a basket. It was buried in a container with scraps on the bottom, my blocks, and scraps on the top, and two pillow forms on top of that. It was back behind my ironing board, which I can never reach. But, they were hoping I would save them. Happy dance all around.

Did I mention a freak rain with crazy wind and rain? well, I noticed everything in the basket was wet. yes, wet. We looked up and there was a new leak in the ceiling and staining my blocks and the reds were running. sigh. On the plus side, we wouldn't have known about the leak, if, we hadn't been looking for the blocks.

So, if I wash them, they will shrink and not match the unstained blocks. If I just make the top and wash it, the stains may not come out, and I will have wasted the whole process. I will have to think about this for a bit for sure. Here are the pictures of the weird cloud/ front coming over our barn from the north to the south. It was fascinating until it leaked on my blocks.



strange

There are about 20 blocks affected. Most of them are the setting triangle blocks with red.


Only one of the pieced blocks is stained.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you found them! This kind of thing drives me crazy. I would take a chance and hand wash and air dry the stained blocks. Thanks for sharing your "mystery" on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How disappointing, I don't have any advice for you, just sympathizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can think of is to use some of those Color Catchers when washing. I haven't searched anything else, but there might be other methods. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Oxiclean. If you have a salad spinner this works well for small fabric.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you can follow Vicki Welsh's directions and save the blocks. Good luck!!
    https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save-my-bleeding-quilt.html#/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is frustrating about your blocks. Looks like you had a shelf cloud, which looks awful but usually isn't violent. Still it can wreak some havoc!

    ReplyDelete