Tuesday, February 12, 2019

templates

I've decided, the problem with templates, and why they stay in a drawer, is that they are not quilt patterns. And quilt patterns are so much easier to make. All the thinking has already been done, and my favorite part - the mindless sewing - is sooner. When I want to start something new, I look through my patterns and books, online, magazines, or what my friends are doing. I say ooo I like that one, and I am off to the races (quilting). But, I've noticed, a new tool or template interests me more than fabric anymore.
Like this new Block of the month

or this medallion quilt along at em's scrapbag

or the temecula church window quilt along

That is why I am challenging myself to open the drawer and use templates I own but don't use. What is in your drawer? hmmm?

I have no idea what to do with these adorable blocks. But I do like making them.



But, I am cutting them from every little scrap I find. At some point I will have to decide if I have a balance of light and darks, centers and points.


I am linking to:
Free Motion by the River

chameleon color linky

Oh scrap

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, now I'm feeling convicted for sure! I have a nifty little half square triangle template thingy, and does my Accuquilt GO! cutter and drawer full of unused dies count too??? I must say, though, I use my Nifty Notions specialty rulers all the time regardless of whether I'm using a pattern. No more cutting squares apart into triangles for me! I never looked back after learning how to cut them with the fancy-schmancy Cut for the Cure rulers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love those blocks! I am the same as you... I tend to look for quilt patterns, rather than pull out ruler templates and use them. One ruler I have that I really need to pull out and use is my Quick Curve Ruler. I always see it sitting in my drawer and think to myself that I really, really, really need to make a quilt with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea of using what you have. Cuts the guilt of seeing unused tools and opens up all sorts of adventures you were not having before.

    ReplyDelete