Monday, September 25, 2023

mini churn dash block

I am excited to add a new UFo to my 5 quilt project. I made these cute little churn dashes in 2017. At some point, I retired the whole project to the ufo closet. I used a random number generator to pick my next project for the list, to replace a finished Ufo (unfinished object), and mini churndashes was it. The plan was to make a quilt with whatever number of blocks I found in the box. I had a possible layout idea in the box, too.  When I counted them, I fell in love with them all over again. They are so very cute and fun to make.

I had 78 of them, which, isn't a big quilt. I decided I would be patient in finishing, and, make a few more. I even thought of making them by color for the 2024 rainbow scrap challenge. But, I decided on a more short term goal, and, then, I can reevaluate. I am making one every morning, until the end of the year. That will add at least 90 more to the number. 


78 blocks in the box

practice - 3 inch finished

week 1

I don't keep 1 inch strips, generally, adding them to the string and crumb bin. So, I can dig through the end of the line scraps for fun combos. I can cut the HSTS from 1 1/2 inch strips with the easy angle. This is going to be a bright spot every morning.

I lost my domain name for the blog,  and everything has to be changed on my blog. ugh   It's probably a good thing. I have had it since 2013 and every year, the price increases. I am now: makingalather.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie! Oh, I'm such a fan of the churn dash block. They always look so happy to me and these mini ones deliver that happiness in shades. Since there are 98 days left in the year you'll easily make your goal of 90 more. You might even be able to take a day or two off, like for a holiday. HAHA! Good luck with this great UFO. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that I still can't get your blog by Feedly (I entered the new blogspot address) but I can click on the image in one of the daily link ups.........But: the tiny churns are so charming! Bet it will be hard to stop at one a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice when you can get excited about one of your older UFOs. Enjoy finding those odds and ends in your scrap piles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tiny blocks can be so fun and addictive. Good luck with your plan to make one each morning. :) Thanks for sharing in the Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun little blocks to start off with each day! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/27/wednesday-wait-loss-347

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love churn dash blocks and these minis are just adorable! It's a great goal for one per day until the end of the year. Looking forward to seeing how you put them all together.

    ReplyDelete