Friday, January 24, 2020

shine quilt blocks

I did have to read, and reread, the instructions for making this quilt, Shine. It is a free pattern at moda bakeshop. I couldn't tell where the cut pieces matched the intended block.  It calls for a different white in one corner of the 9 patch, and, I wasn't sure it would matter, using my fabrics instead of the ones in the pattern. I made a trip to Joann, and a shiny white was a remnant, so I used that for the "special " corner.


I am glad the instructions were for strip piecing. I think, my other confusion, was how to only cut in the color for the month, as part of the rainbow scrap challenge. In any event, I made the green blocks for January. And, I think I have ironed out all the details for the rest of the blocks. It's a big block - 14 inches or so.




I am linking to:


9 comments:

  1. I can see where this block would be confusing with the way the rectangular pieces are in it. I always have to lay every thing out and check check check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are great blocks and will look great as an RSC quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a neat block! I can see where those "different" background squares are going to stand out somewhere in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SEW looking forward to seeing your RSC blocks grow into a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great block! Yours look great in green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I like these blocks! And they show up really well in light green. This should be a terrific quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty block - look forward to seeing how the different colors come together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I considered this block, read the instructions three or four times, then settled on something smaller and easier! LOL
    Yours has come together nicely, good on you for persevering.

    ReplyDelete