Monday, November 5, 2018

a whale of a mystery quilt

I am still making the black and white HSTs for orca bay mystery. What makes this quilt interesting is the sashing that is string pieced and placed around the ohio star blocks. I tried one to see how it all works. It seems this is the quilt that will never end.
I started it as part of my mystery challenge in August 2018 here  and  ( here are other images
String piecing and the start of the blocks one month later here and the end of October here
The new mystery quilt and colors have been announced. I have only one month left to get this done. and then it will be time to start that. If it is not done, I will start again on January.


In other news, our weather has been all over the place, including hail.


I had a furry friend try to come home with me.


And I am preparing to teach this feather tree workshop to my rug hooking guild.


Jo of Jo's country junction is trying to finish all the quilts in quiltville's string fling book before the new book is published. I am trying to finish all the mystery quilts as part of that challenge before the new mystery in November. My challenge finishes are here.





boms away 
Oh scrap

4 comments:

  1. I'm cheering you on thru cyberspace: Go Orca Bay! I finished this quilt a while ago, but I remember how challenging it was. Those string blocks seem to take forever. They are worth it, though, in scraps used up and in the movement they give to a quilt. I have my own Bonnie Hunter UFO in progress right now: Dawn's Early Light. It also has string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feather Christmas tree is adorable! I assume that is made with felt or wool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've been busy. Looks like you are making progress with Orca Bay. I'm ready for a new mystery, hopefully On Ringo Lake will be much farther along by the time we start the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) BH quilts always feel to me like "the quilt that will never end". They're so wonderful, though.

    ReplyDelete