Wednesday, June 10, 2020

frolic is a top?

The top for quiltville frolic mystery quilt is finished as per the pattern. And, I was ready to quilt it. I realized, if I add borders, it would be bigger for a bed.
I didn't plan on going bigger, but, it seems an off - size this way.
It stalls until I make a decision.


When I took to quilting in earnest, borders were my least favorite part of the process. I left many almost finished quilts in the ufo pile to avoid borders. I had to decide how to fix that problem. It wasn't easy, but, I can move right through the problem now, 90% of the time. Mostly, it was a practice problem. The more I did them, the better it was.  Lately, I have added borders to some really large quilts, and I am a little tired of that part of the process again. I need a little recreation sewing, so, I made a few blossoms blocks. How do you do borders?


 I did a little recreational cutting for clue 4 of the unity mystery quilt from quiltville.


I am linking:


8 comments:

  1. I always have to add a border - what do you do with a quilt that is about 80 inch square - what can it be used for? I end up adding a border so it is bed size - I hope you decide what to do with yours - what size is it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always just thrown on strip borders because at that point, I'm just excited to get my quilt done but that is not my favorite look for sure. I'm at least trying to get blocks or some other design in the corners these days. In theory, I really want to be way more creative and I keep thinking I'll get there. Definitely something I need to work on because I LOVE creative borders! Same with backings--I love the quilts that I've taken time to put in a few blocks or something of interest on the back. I'm very much a "so many quilts, so little time" person but there is a side of me that wants to slow down and enjoy the challenge of intricate designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blossom blocks. I remember doing one similar years ago but it was a more simple block which was in keeping with my skill set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just do them. Since I don't make a lot of large quilts it isn't an issue much. But I do love a pieced border, which can be so tricky sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking border for this one. It's a very busy quilt and needs a resting place. Plus, it will help with the size issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on completing your Frolic quilt top, Maggie! Borders? I mostly avoid pieced borders. I typically resort to slapping a swath of fabric on an calling it good! My reasoning? By the time I create a pieced border, I could have a whole 'nother quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Frolic. Like you, my quilts get stalled at the borders. Now I look at making borders as a new project, a new quilt. It's always fun to make new blocks and I keep that in mind. It work just fine for Jacob's Ladder. You can see it here.
    https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.com/2020/06/i-didnt-mean-to.html
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Borders are optional! Figuring out how to tackle a border other than a single strip of fabric can be challenging!

    ReplyDelete