Monday, June 22, 2020

cutting scraps

I made it a goal to clean this table in my sewing room next to my accuquilt. I tend to cut and throw the pieces here. It was supposed to be a place for a scrap basket, but the basket was covered and consumed by my untidiness. The basket was full, and it was time to empty it. I enjoy the quilted twins blog, and, she weighs her scraps before and after cutting. It sounded interesting, so I weighed before, and it was 5 lbs 2 oz. That means there is about 15 yards in the basket. That is enough for a good size quilt. No wonder, scraps never go away.


It took 2 evenings to get through the basket. The flats in the lower left were 3 oz and they were put back into my scrap drawers as is.
The top left was 5 inch squares weighing 12 oz. - almost 3/4 of a yard. The pile at the right, I want to cut into triangles on the accuquilt. I cut 3 1/2, 2 1/2, 2, and 1 1/2 squares if I couldn't get strips.


There were hardly any 3 1/2 inch strips ( on the left). Probably because I wanted to cut 5 inch squares this time. The 2 1/2 inch strips weighed 9 ounces. And the 2 inch strips were 5 ounces. The blue 2 inch strips went into a project box for a quilt someday. And any green and pink 2 inch strips were sent to a project bin. I didn't weigh the 1 1/2 inch strips.


Bonnie Hunter often says that scraps are the same 12.00 a yard as any other quilting fabric. The 15 yards would be 180.00 dollars in a quilt store. I think that is interesting. I wondered about the time factor. It took 2 evenings watching TV. It would take the time of one evening to go to a quilt store since there are none close to where I live. And, maybe 1/2 of an evening to browse online to find something to order. Did I waste my time? I don't think so. There is something therapeutic about cutting fabric for me. I was watching TV anyway. And, I feel less wasteful. I have to admit, I am more likely to start something new after playing with the scraps. I did start 2 new project boxes. But, then, I will never be bored.

I am linking:


6 comments:

  1. it is so worth it to make scrappy quilts in my book

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitively NOT a waste of time. It's 150$ in your pocket and that much less scraps in the landfills. Your next quilt is a free one. Free things are rare now a days. I too am cutting into my scraps to make them more usable. It's good for the soul as it gives me a sense of having control somewhere in this suddenly crazy world. Enjoy the new scraps. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an eye opening experiment. I am looking at my scraps in a different light now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never equate fabric scrap weight to money, Maggie. I equate my fabric scraps to fun. Oh SEW much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This weekend I attacked a big shopping bag full of scraps that a friend hand given me months ago. I wished I had thought to weigh it before cutting. I had a die made that cuts one each of Bonnie's favorite size strips: 1.5", 2", 2.5" and 3.5" for my Sizzix Big Shot Pro. I am also able to get strings with this die. I was glad to add variety to my strips and strings buckets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way were you wasting your time. I use scraps a lot. Although sometime I let myself throw away stuff cause I just can't deal with any more. Right now I'm working with 1.5" squares and I'm going to need more to make my project. Sigh... more cutting in my future. I'm curious about your weighing of your scraps. How did you figure the ratio of weight to yards. It's nice to get a spot cleaned up and have usable scraps.

    ReplyDelete