Monday, May 1, 2023

new project

My 5 quilts project needs a lot of cutting. I needed a portable machine piecing project for sewing away from home, that doesn't require a lot of thinking. I opened a new box, and everything is already cut. I have over 400 strips cut and ready to make a Bonnie Hunter rectangle wrangle quilt from her scraps and shirt tails book 2.  Rectangle wrangle is an older 2018 UFO, that, I know I want to finish. It looked simple enough.

I need to make a million strip sets - easy



I need to  sew them into a tube and sub cut them - easy


And sew them back together - not that easy. How many ways can you turn the strips wrong when sewing them together? you don't want to know. sigh... How can you grab 2 strips that are right, turn from the ironing pad to the actual machine and get them wrong? I don't know. sigh...


But, they are so fun - really


I think I am getting the hang of it, too. I don't expect this to be done any time soon. That's okay, I will just make progress as I enjoy social sewing. Eventually, it will take a turn as part of the 5 quilts project and be finished.

I am linking:

9 comments:

  1. This is going to be a lovely quilt when it's finished. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun shirt quilt! I hear you on the getting the strips mismatched between the iron board and the sewing machine. Those HSTs gave me fits at the retreat. Of course maybe I was a tad bit distracted with the social stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rectangle wrangle! And I laugh with you for all the twisted and mismatched strips. UGH! I know I have done it a time or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a spectacular quilt! Wow on the process - good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is to lose them , make more and then find the missing blocks! Can't wait to see this finished, shirt type quilts are so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun project! Sounds kind of like a bargello - sew strips, make a tube, cut apart and sew back together!! Enjoy the process! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I've made so many "trip" blocks and unsewn the wrong seam. But you're making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So easy to sew them wrong as I've found out myself! What a lovely project. I adore your shirtings. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie I love the fabrics and can so understand the possibility of turning things wrong. Ive been using my seam ripper a lot these days. Have fun with your project. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete