Monday, May 22, 2023

trip around the world quilt class

 I have had a trip around the world quilt on my bucket list for a long time. I had tried the Bonnie Hunter free pattern, but, I did not like the outcome. She had promised that any scrappy combination would work, and, I took her at her word. I managed to have scrappy fabrics that did not work. But, I have still admired all of them I have seen. I started investigating the colors and movement, watching and reading and you tube.  I was determined to try again. I think the key is to have color groups together in the quilt. But, aside from that, TAW quilts have a magic of surprising results.

I taught a class at guild this last Satuday, and, I was amazed at the color combinations chosen by all the quilters.

Gwen is new to quilting - vibrant colors

Pam's flannel baby

Mark's ocean

shelly's  colorful

The best part for me, was a visit from an old quilting buddy from out of town. It was so good to see her and catch up a little bit. She has been an inspiration to me over the years with her keen sense of color and her scrappy commitment. She loves little pieces ( and can you believe it) cutting the fabric. I have several quilts with pieces of her swapped goodies in the them. Thank you Lucy.

Lucy's bohemian

Judy is in my Friday group and made stunning choices

Linda's bright beauty



I had left mine unfinished with parts to demonstrate, but, I did finish the top at the workshop. I missed pictures of rex's chocolate covered cherries and Shelly's orange sherbet, Linda W patriotic, Lisa's completely scrappy, and Kathy's perfect pink. Oh and Kelly, who was new had a wonderful shabby chic version.

Now, I want to cut up all my fabric into trip quilts, I am so inspired. I like being the teacher. There are all types of "students". Surprisingly, there are those who say I am not doing it that way ( why take the class?), there are power sewers at the machine. There are social butterflies, who need repeat instructions. There are massively tidy ones ( not me). Relaxed, confident ones.  Some who move through the instructions like soldiers, And questioning ones, and everyone has a creative genius in them - amazing

But in our group we had kind, and patient quilters. The whole world should be quilters and then there would be no wars or crime or violence. LOL


10 comments:

  1. Your class sounds like it was a lot of fun! I love seeing all the different colorways that the quilters came up with. I have a Bonnie Hunter style Scrappy Trip quilt, but I think I like your layout better. Wish I could have been in the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love TAWs. I've made a couple and have been pondering making one as a fund raiser for the group I sing with. Decisions, decisions! Love the variety you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You taught WONDERFULLY. I loved the class and can't wait to get mine done. Thank you. It sure was great to see you. Love you, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great workshop! It looks like it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my bucket list too, Maggie! Yours is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Class sounds like fun and thanks for sharing all the different color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have often thought that quilters are generally kind, giving, patient and oh so charitable. What a fun class you had. Love the color options you showed. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend has been steadily sewing her stash into TATWs for a charity project -- as in a couple of dozen of 'em. So many ideas....Your observations of workshop attendees are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I attempted a TAW mini... It wasn't a total fail, but not really a trip around the world quilt at all... LOL Thanks for sharing in my Sew & Tell party. :)
    https://melvalovesscraps.blogspot.com/2023/05/this-that-and-mini-quilt-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you all must have had at your classes Maggie. I enjoy teaching at my Guild for just the reason you stated. Quilters are kind people. What fun to see all of the different versions of the TAW. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. I hope you had another fun filled week this week.

    ReplyDelete