Wednesday, November 4, 2020

shirt strings

What do you do when making a block makes more small scraps?


Start a new quilt. I randomly sewed small pieces and strings together to make slabs of shirt fabric. I really didn't have a plan.. yet


Then, I remembered Bonnie Hunter's free string x pattern, and a version that I liked the colors. I started cutting my slabs into 3 1/2 x 10 1/2 rectangles.


I am on my way to using up all my bits and pieces... LOL that's a joke, of course.  I won't even see a dent. I am really on my way to making a big mess. But, it is so satisfying.

8 comments:

  1. Scrap play can be so fun! And yes - they seem to simply multiply as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good way to use those let over pieces, that's happening to me too with the pieces left from the 1-1/4" strips for my log cabin quilt. I'm going to start piecing some string-X blocks with my pieces. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shirt fabrics are great! I love the two pink blocks and the dark block you made that gave you leftover bits. I know what you mean about scraps. I have bins of them, but they sure do come in handy once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Maggie. Making scrap quilts can be SEW messy, but a whole lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shirt scraps, in the "regular" blocks and especially the string blocks. Making a mess with quilt scraps is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of scraps. I'll have to look at Bonnie's Scrap X. It might be a pattern I made many moons ago. Still have the quilt, can't remember the name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quilts made out of shirt fabric. This is going to be a good one, Maggie! Thanks for linking up with me.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Satisfying for sure! But how come those scraps refuse to get used up???

    ReplyDelete