Monday, December 11, 2017

ringo lake and wing clipper

I decided to use the Deb Tucker wing clipper for my flying geese in clue #2.
I cut the large squares at 4 1/2 inches and the small squares at 2 1/2 inches.  I figured I would get 9 squares from each strip of coral and I needed 50, so I needed 6 strips, which was 27 inches. I cut 28 inches and thoroughly starched the fabric before cutting. My measurements for the 2 1/2 inch squares as I was using fat quarters were that I would need 5 fat quarters and 200 squares, which I thoroughly starched before cutting.


 I decided that since the pieces were intentionally ovcersized I would not take the time to mark the diagonal, and used 2 pieces of  1/4 in tape to keep it straight.


After the quarter inch is stitched on both sides of the diagonal, I cut them apart and added another square to each end.

I cut them apart and had 4 flying geese from that set



The geese needed a little trimming using the lines on the wing clipper



And they were as nearly perfect as I have ever made them.


In my opinion, this is the best flying geese method I have ever tried. I tried eleanor burns method earlier this year here, and I did not like it. I felt there was a lot of waste in time and fabric. I tried just the regular flip and sew method, but I seem to lose the quarter inch at the top.

I am still happy with my starch experiment and will continue using it. I think the cutting is better if i pre starch.

I am linking to:
Making Monday  link in sidebar
main Crush Monday   link in sidebar

show and tell monday

design wall monday   link in sidebar

boms away   link in sidebar

and there is a mystery link up at Quiltville

6 comments:

  1. I love my Deb Tucker rulers. I agree that the flying geese made this way is one of the best ways.

    Oddly enough I am using tons of starch on my fabric for On Ringo Lake. I bought some concentrate and sprayed all my fat quarters and pressed them. I hope that any shrinkage of fabric has already happened. I am loving how the fabric behaves with starch on it.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice geese! I am now hooked on Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper also. I love Eleanor but don't like to waste fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yyeah, I like the Wing Clipper, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie,
    I agree - I think your geese look great. It sounds like an easy approach, and you made it look rather foolproof. I like the fabrics you are using as well! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starching CAN be really helpful. Glad you found the way that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that Wing Clipper but have never used it. Looks like I need to give it a try. I'm saving the clues for the Ringo Lake mystery but haven't started it yet. It's fun to see the fabrics everyone is using.

    ReplyDelete