Sunday, September 4, 2016

Our tree is down



I am unbelievably emotional about losing this tree. It has probably been here as long as anyone has owned this land. We've been friends since we moved here in 1989. Our children and our Grandchildren had a rope swing on it. I feel like a sentinel has left us, our very own Groot (Guardians of the galaxy movie). We have already lost so many trees to the Emerald ash borer, but this one was special. When it hit the ground, it snapped many of the small trees around her.









I have started a knit along at church called knit the sky. It is a conceptual knitting project designed by  Lea Redmond of Leaf cutter designs. 
I have wanted to try this for some time. I think the idea of intentionally noticing, and in my case, feeling grateful for the sky and all of God's beauty, will be good for the soul. I am so blessed, but I am often caught up in the mundane, and fail to truly appreciate the bigger picture.

 I priced yarn shop yarn in wonderful wool blends, and decided to go with a yarn I found at Michaels. The choice between expensive and acrylic  was a tough one. I also considered spinning my own yarn. In the end, I decided it was a knit along including many beginners and those on budgets ( I am too)so it was the fellowship and concept that was the most important - not the yarn. The best blue yarn I am using is actually, a salvaged cashmere from a sweater that I took apart. (the one in the middle front row). I have decidedly more grays than the pattern suggests, because I have a feeling my Indiana skies are pretty gloomy in the winter.
 The pattern is free but you have to sign up for her newsletter to get it. You can find it on instagram #knitthesky. So I am casting on the sky - intentionally - today

 Stash report

Fabric Used this Week: bits and pieces

Fabric Used year to Date: 22 1/2 yards

Fabric Added this Week: 13.75 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 104.75 yards

Net Fabric for 2016: 82.75 yards in the hole

and I think I need to add shirts I buy to take apart for fabric. I added 0
for total of 5

I am linking to patchwork times 
and
Slow Sunday Stitching


and

12 comments:

  1. I feel you pain for the tree :(

    We have a large tree that was damaged a couple of years ago by cityworkers when they chopped thru some major roots. The 40' tree looks 3/4 dead now and I think we have to remove it before it falls and does some major damage. We feel like going to the city for the expense, but we're sure they would deny being at fault. It was so senseless and is maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for the loss of your guardian tree, its amazing how a tree can feel like part of your family. The scarf is going to be lovely, your yarn colors are great sky colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to see your toolbox of yarn. I bought a metal vintage toolbox a couple of weeks ago for my handwork and it is perfect! I am not a knitter, but I think your yarn selections are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a knitter but hope to be one someday... I have several friends who have offered to teach me how when I retire. I love your sky scarf. The colours are wonderful! I like how you are using small amounts of each colour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. knitting is very therapeutic- I hope you get a chance to learn

      Delete
  5. Losing big trees makes me sad too! Maybe you could plant another slow growing tree on your property for future generations to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you lost a special tree. My sister was telling me how Illinois is losing so many elms. So sad for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always sad to see an older tree that has fallen, but I always feel that at least no one was injured. Especially as you stated that there was a swing on it. Enjoy your knitting. I like the colors that you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for the loss of such a special tree! As a military family, we have never lived somewhere long enough to enjoy our own trees growth. Now that we're retired, I love that my grandbabies can play on my trees! When we planted them almost 20 years ago, that was my dream! Your colors are beautiful! I'm so glad you started a knit along at your church! What a wonderful way to get to know people! Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete