Thursday, September 15, 2016

Rug hooking "hook in"


My husband and I attended the annual wool keepers "Hook in" in Danville, Indiana. Most of my weekly rug hooking friends and mentors were there. It is always fun when hookers get together LOL. Most of my guild are in their seventies and eighties.  There was an exhibit and several vendors. There was a full class schedule starting Friday night and all day Saturday. We hadn't pre- registered, so I was not really planning on taking any workshops. But there was a class with just a couple of openings and I decided to try it. I loved it.

These were the winning rugs for the exhibit. Just amazing.





This was a class project from a previous year.


This my mentor and friend with her project from Sauder rug show



This was an original design that she was binding the edges.




This was the workshop that I took taught by Jan Adams from Missourri. She was a great teacher. I loved her idea of dyeing the linen backing. No need to hook the whole background when it looks so natural when dyed.
I had not proddied before ( the sunflower) nor had I chained with wool ( sunflower stem) so I was thrilled learning new techniques. These are pictures of her sample pillow for the class.
This was the sun - Ok I didn't see it at first, but I get it.

I like the texture and colors in the grass, but I especially liked the edging of a dark green roving type yarn. It is hooked in a size 8 1/2 width, which I have not used before. I know a lot of primitive hookers like the big sizes, and it does go very quickly, but it hurt my hands. And I like the details better with smaller wool strips.
Now I am anxious to try dyeing linen.

I am linking with Fabric thread and yarn
and
Oh Scrap


2 comments:

  1. All the projects are beautiful! Another technique I have to try some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lena.,:-)
    Thank you for participating to my Fabric, Thread and Yarn link party. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete