Wednesday, September 28, 2022

cut list progress

I decided to make a cutting hit list for scrap management. You can read about it here. It has been a month. and, I am surprised at how much I have gotten done. I made a list of what I would need to cut for a few quilts in my ufo and maybe someday lists. With a pile of scraps, I move down the list and cut what I can to fill the need for these quilts.


It went from neat and tidy stacks to zip lock bags as I cut more and more. I am not worried about numbers yet. If when I am ready to make these quilts, and I have cut too many, I can always feed the extras into the scrap users system I have used for years.

Diffusion is a quilted twins free pattern that is simple 9 patches. I am cutting in fall colors with 2 inch strips. If the scrap is not fall color, I go to another quilt on the list. I have a gallon zip lock bag full of strips. 


Suzies snowball is a a great quilt to cut with 2 inch squares when that is all that is left. The bag is full, too. At this point I could retire this one. And pick another quilt to cut. - undecided


I cut red, blue and aqua rectangles for quiltville unity quilt round 5. I need 2 inch neutral strips for a variety for the borders. I have the rectangles for the geese cut and many 2 inch strips. I can move on to cutting round 6.

Strip weave is a new small quilt that I will probably use next year for the rainbow scrap challenge. I need to cut 2 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 3 of the same size and I have a few of those cut. I am concerned about random choices.


I have a color block quilt that I am putting scraps bigger than 4 1/2 inches in black red or white  for triangles in an hour glass alternate block. I have a few of those.

 
And another new one for next years rainbow scrap challenge using a hollow nine block. I am cutting 3 1/2 inch squares. I have a big bag of them.


My overall opinion is very positive for how this is working for me. I am still enjoying the cutting, and feel more like I am moving goals forward, than, if, I just cut the usual sizes to fill the drawers. I have one or two that I am worried about, that I might not like them so scrappy when it comes to making the quilt. I like that it has added a puzzle challenge to the mundane task of cutting scraps.

I think I can say I have cut enough for unity clue 5, and, will retire that until I have a chance to sew that clue.

I am sure I have enough cut for Suzie's snowball so it will go back to the ufo list.

The rest are still active, but, I need to add some projects to the cut list.

I  am linking to:



2 comments: