Friday, April 15, 2022

fair and square project

I knew I was going to need more projects to take for our Friday and open sews coming up in April. I decided to dig out Fair and square and see what was next for moving this project along. The first thing I did was check the blog posts for any mention of this quilt. And I was surprised to read that this project has been a mystery with me from the beginning. I wrote this in 2019  about a string puzzle 

Admittedly, it has been awhile since I sat at the treadle to make string blocks. But, when I did, I found a small pile of shirt string blocks that I don't remember. Did I just decide to make them for the parts department or were they intentional. There were paper foundations cut to a specific size and stacked in sets of 10. and there were at least 50. That means they were intentional but for what?  I just don't remember. I have looked through my pinterest boards and my in process lists, and I can't seem to figure it out yet. Until I do, I am still stringing along with them as I can. It may take awhile. This getting old thing is for the birds.


using my treadle


Next I wrote

Here I talked about a puzzle I had with a batch of shirting string blocks that I didn't remember. I had gone through my ufo lists and my wish lists, and I couldn't find any project that I would want these blocks, but I had precut a substantial number of foundation squares, so, I just kept going. I had about 10 squares left when I saw the quilt again that inspired them. It is fair and square - a quiltville pattern. Puzzle solved. They are finished now, trimmed and depapered. It's time to look at what else I will need to do for this pattern.

next I wrote

 I later realized, I had started fair and square without making any note of it.
After the string blocks were finished, I started making 360- 4 patches that finish at 2 1/2 inches.

last time I blogged

Two Friday group sews, and all the 4 patches are attached for Fair and square, a quiltville pattern. I am thrilled with the scrappy goodness.


Now, I am scratching my head again. But, I will take it with me and start the process to get this quilt to a top.

I am linking to:

9 comments:

  1. This will be a scrapilicious quilt!!! Nice that you had it all ready to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like wonderful progress toward your Fair and Square top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you have fun as you continue to puzzle out what these fabrics what to become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up the Fair and Square quilt to see just how the string blocks fit in with the Four Patch blocks. When you do make it to flimsy stage that will be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blocks, the quilt is going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this block a LOT. Should be a great quilt. I try to remember to write my projects down in my notebook, but some of them are definitely a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scrappy quilts and I can't wait to see your finished top. Making progress always feels good. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun quilty puzzle! Your blocks will make an amazing scrap quilt when you get them assemble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that is a lot of tiny squares! I had to go look up the pattern - this will look amazing when it's done!

    ReplyDelete