Sunday, January 7, 2018

Stash report January 7, 2018

note
I ended 2017 in the hole 8 3/4 yards for my fabric stash report. I finished enough quilts and gave away 90 + yards to say that I used 354 1/2 yards of fabric.
I purchased or brought home 363 1/4 yards of fabric and I didn't really have any place to put it. So some of it got sent to the attic to live. How sad. I would like to say I will do better next year at not buying or adding fabric. But that was my intention last year. I am a sucker for a great deal. Most of my fabric was a big sale, or with coupons, or thrift store finds. I really hate to let fabric feel unwanted and unloved. BUT..
If I used 350 yards of fabric every year, I might have to live 350 years to use it all.
But I will start the year with a clean slate.

Stash report


Fabric Used this Week 0 yard
Fabric Used year to Date: 0 yards


Fabric Added this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 0 yards


Net Fabric for 2018: 0


Still a little bit of dyeing going on







All of my sashings are made for on ringo lake mystery quiltville quilt. I am still making my way through making the blocks. I am at 23 out of 50. I am joining in with Kate on making sure I sew at least 15 minutes a day. and so far this year I haven't missed any days.


I have plans to spin today. I am spinning a home processed dorset fleece. As you can see there is still alot of vegetative matter in the yarn, but it will get better when I ply two strands together.



The fleece is very white, strong, close and free from dark fiber. Fleeces average 5 to 9 pounds (2.3 to 4.1 kg) in the ewes with a yield between 50% and 70%. The staple length ranges from 2.5 to 4 inches with a numeric count of 46's-58's.
So it should be very soft yarn.




I am linking to:

Slow Sunday Stitching

sunday stash at quiltpaintcreate

15 min to stitch at life in pieces


7 comments:

  1. The thrift shop gets the better of me too. I will never leave quilt shop quality fabric at the thrift when it's priced at $1/yard. The yarn looks cool. I like the little bits in it.
    Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my how marvelous that you spin your own wool. It's such a wonderful fiber. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fiber looks so soft...hope it knits-crochets up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dying and spinning looks like an interesting process! Do you knit or weave with the yarn you make? Pretty colors in your ORL sashing blocks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have great numbers to start the year. LOL I can see you are quite the artist. I love to experiment with dying fabric but have not tried wool fibers. You have finished some beautiful quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I hear you, Maggie! I, too, am starting the year off with a zero balance, but a closet full of fabric tells me otherwise.

    My town must not have the right thrift shops - I have NEVER found quilt shop quality fabric there! Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think fabric just knows that it's my weakness and the bolts just whisper to me till I give in and take some home. Well at least you used almost as much as you purchased, to be just 8 yards in the red is really good. Congrats on finding time to stitch each day, that can be another challenge. Thank you for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete