Saturday, January 20, 2018

birch trees

As one of my rainbow scrap challenge quilts for 2018, I am making birch trees. I started by making a few string blocks in more upbeat colors. I cut one strip 2 inches wide and 2 strips 1 1/2 inches wide.
I cut the main blocks 12 inches to start with, and I trimmed them to 12 inches after adding the pieced strips.


The quilts I have seen that I like the best are done with solid colors. I was going to use any light blue scraps I liked in my drawer, but they were all too busy, so I did use the only light blue solid I could find. They look gray in the picture but they are a light blue. I just put a ruler on the block at an angle and sliced the square.


I rejoined the pieces after I inserted the strips. This is very fun and about as improv as I get. It will be fun to see all the colors at the end of the year. If I do 2 every month, I will have 20 blocks. But I think I will want it bigger, so some months I may make more than 2 blocks.


I am linking to
 SewCan She



5 comments:

  1. I have always loved the birch tree blocks, and I like how yours are turning out! Are you going to change the background colors each month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun spin on the pattern. It's going to be very bright and bold. Happy stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have a tough time finding solids in my scrap stash. Lucky that you were able to locate some BLUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pattern has been on my want-to-make list for a while. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete