Wednesday, May 8, 2019

pineapple template

I started the pineapple blocks with a long neutral 1 1/2 inch piece and chain stitched as many 2 1/2 inch squares on it as I could. I did that on each side until I had a framed 2 1/2 inch square. It was my way of chain piecing a block that can't be chain pieced.


I used the creative grids pineapple template to cut the corners. There is a square on the template marked center square, and it places a diagonal cut in just the right place. The center square on the template is just for round one. I had planned on a more traditional look with scraps, until, I found the monkey. It had to be included.



And, magically there were these...


I noticed that round one was really a triangle so I measured, and, a 2 inch triangle will work, if I need to cut more strips in the future. I think I will try a triangle next time just to see if I like doing it that way better.



I am linking to:

WOW

midweek makers

5 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea for chain piecing your pineapple block beginnings! I wish I had thought of that for my pineapple blocks, since I used the same fabric for the center of every block and the first ring was the same fabric, too. Except that I was paper piecing my blocks and I don't think I could have chain pieced with all of those foundation papers attached... Still stowing your method away in the back of my mind for next time! I love your fussy cut center, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love creative grids pineapple ruler! I have it in both sizes now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Monkey is very cute and fun. Looks like you are off to a good start with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That template makes it look easy! Great start to your pineapple blocks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had good luck with these blocks. Maybe I need to look into those rulers

    ReplyDelete