Monday, April 15, 2019

sand castles

I had the string piecing bug last week, and when it hits, it's best to go with it. I think I was primarily anxious to clean up the mess. I worked on sand castles. I am half way through the blocks I need, with most of them trimmed and depapered.


While I was cleaning I would pick up any stray small pieces, and add them to a strip of adding machine tape. I had found a bag of adding machine tape at goodwill recently, and thought I would try using them for string piecing. It was fun. It's a good combination of strings and crumb piecing.
It made the diagonal string piecing ( not my favorite) go better.


I was surprised at how fast it was in comparison, and, also, that there were this many small bits to clean up. No wonder the mess was getting to me. Where did they come from and how did they end up on the floor?



I am linking to:



9 comments:

  1. Oh what fun!!! Sometimes you juse need a string day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was cutting scraps this weekend, I started a bag of darker neutral strings for this quilt. I have a roll of adding machine tape to use for the itty bitties too. Once in a while I just make some and put them in a box. Someday there will be enough for something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea to use the adding machine tape! I do something similar with crumbs, but I just sew them. I think the tape would make it easier. The sand castle string blocks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun to use up all the scraps. My friend throws hers away so i scoff them when i can for some fun playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fun to use up all the scraps. My friend throws hers away so i scoff them when i can for some fun playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea to use the adding machine tape for your foundation, and getting it at the thrift shop was a real find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check out this option for using those thin string strips. https://www.fernroycequilting.com/2017/09/21/waste-not-want-not/. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete