Tuesday, October 6, 2020

to do: sort

A clean cutting table is such a tempting notion. first, I seldom see such a thing, why mess it up? But, that won't do.. it is a playground of exciting potential messes.  What can I cut? mark? pile? Unfortunately, it is hard to get to my clean table, there are a "few" bags of undecided "things" in front of it on the floor. So, there is the boring place to start.


I have a bag of  leftovers from other quilters gifted to me a while ago. I need to make sense of it. After, sorting through these pieces, I think there is more than enough to make this into a donation quilt. I took a picture, and, put it into a labeled project box. I added the date. If, I don't get to this in a year or two, I need to find some other hapless quilter who might want it.


I have another bag, with orphan blocks, from who knows where. I have another box with orphan blocks. I have seen so many great scrappy quilts that have started with orphan blocks, and, I really want to try it "someday".  But, I really don't have any idea where to start on that. I have started adding dates to any project, I put away, so I can see later, by the passage of time, if I need to let them go. 



more to do?: mess up the cutting table

I am linking to:

6 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie! I would be overwhelmed by that bag of orphan blocks. The different sizes and color palettes would be a challenge to me, although some of them I can see would play nicely together. A clean cutting table is just meant to be messed up! Thank you for linking up this week! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cutting table needs a bunch of that kind of help right now, too. Those pink and gray blocks look like they will make a fun design! Good luck with your list this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a great idea! To date the project box! I’m going to incorporate that little hint.
    I just counted... I have 7 flimsiest in need of batting and backing and a trip to the quilter! Plus at least 2 more in progress, and at least two in my head! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A whole bag of orphan blocks? What fun! I'm sure you'll come up with a clever way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dating the projects is a great idea! I have a growing tub of orphan blocks that I'll have to deal with someday. Most are test blocks I've done for others. My cutting table is always cleaned off at the end of the day (most of the time) because it sits atop our chest freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprisingly you can make a quilt around orphan blocks. Start by going through all the blocks to see what colors might go together. A friend and I have made one or two using just red, white and blue blocks. I imagine when we can get back together that we might want to tackle some other colors. Once you get the blocks picked then start putting them on your design wall (or floor or bed.) Know that you will have to add to whatever blocks you have. If you have 8", 9 and 12" blocks the smaller blocks will need to have fabric added. You might need to make some 9 patches to fill in or flying geese. It you start with what you have and then lay them out it isn't so hard to fill in the leftover spaces. I hope you give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete