Saturday, December 21, 2019

red sand castles

I like to make at least one sand castle block each morning before I decide what else needs my attention. They are built a little differently and I like it being different. When I cut my strips into sets of squares and hsts, I figured I would need 64 and I have basically 7 colors so I would need about 9 strips of each color. I have 2 1/2 inch strips sorted by color, so finding them was easy. I find that since I cut them that way, I make them in a color grouping. Here are 4 new red ones.


I am trying to make sense of the scraps again. I found this bag that doesn't look familiar. It must have been given to me at some point. The bag is the regular grocery bag size and it is about 2/3 full. The plan was to work through it one piece at a time until I have it emptied.


Boy, was I surprised when I started pulling out clumps of squares. They filled a shoe box plastic box. I had found another scrap bag of squares earlier- here- and had decided what I was going to do with them. I need to do that again. They are not all the same size and will need trimming. The squares are about 3 inches. Any ideas?


I am linking to:

rsc19 super saturday

I am linking to:


UFO busting - I am featured this week










12 comments:

  1. it is amazing at times how much fabric can be stuffed in those plastic bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sandcastle blocks are always so fun to look at! They look so great for using up small scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got another nice batch of Sand Castle blocks there! As for that scrap bag, you are much more diligent about working through them than I am. I process a bag of scraps by sorting into my various color containers. End of story! The "what shall I do with these" comes at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe a disappearing 9-patch for those squares. Love your sand castles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandcastles are looking great. Yes, fabric can be squashed down pretty well. Have fun playing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very vivid Sand Castle blocks. I need to go through scraps and such. With those 3" squares you could go for scrappy 9 patches and then put those in a quilt either with or without sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Sand Castles and it's inspired me to do a "Bonnie" pattern for the RSC next year. Your squares could make a nice Irish Chain quilt pretty quickly. Just one idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those sandcastle blocks are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking through Bonnie Hunter's Free Patterns tab could get you an idea. Dancing 9-Patch, 4-Patch & Furrows, or maybe a variation of Bricks & Furrows? Your Sand Castles look great! I plan on making rainbow blocks using a pattern from Oh Scrap! next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Sandcastles blocks! I think I would trim those squares down with the 2.5" square die and use them for another one of Bonnie's fabulous scrap quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sand castle blocks are amazing. I am sure you will find the perfect pattern for those scraps. There are so many possibilities!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete